The North County Transit District Board of Directors approved an expansion of the number of trips up and down the county.
The increase in the frequency of the Coaster rail service was announced on Friday, July 23, and will take effect in October.
The new approval will add more weekday and weekend trips to the train schedule.
“Increasing Coaster service gives travelers along the I-5 corridor more transit options,” said Tony Kranz, NCTD board chair and Encinitas deputy mayor. “More trips mean more opportunities to take Coaster to work or school, to access health care, to shop, to meet friends and family, to enjoy our beautiful beaches and so much more.”
According to CNS, these are the new schedule changes:
- Increasing the number of daily weekday trips from 22 to 30
- Increasing the number of daily summer Friday trips from 26 to 32
- Increasing the number of daily winter Friday trips from 22 to 32
- Increasing the number of daily summer Saturday trips from 12 to 20
- Increasing the number of daily winter Saturday trips from eight to 20
- Increasing the number of daily Sunday trips from eight to 20
- Modifying trip times to bridge existing gaps in service
- Modifying Sorrento Valley Coaster Connection service during weekday peak hours and adding Breeze bus trips into the Poinsettia Station as a pilot program to connect with Coaster during peak hours